Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Shedding Pounds: Some Backstory

For those of you who have known me since high school and college, you have probably noticed the changes of my appearance. However, there are those of you who have only known me for a few years or even months. With that being said, here's a little rundown of the major changes that have occurred over the past nine years.
  • I now have a beard (one in which I take great pride in).
  • I no longer have any hair on my head (my fears of looking like Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince were put to rest when I actually got the guts and shaved it).
  • I am married to my best friend, Suzanne. She's an amazing support and inspiration in my life, and as you will soon learn, the very inspiration behind the reason for this blog.
  • I have achieved my goal and dream of being a college English instructor.
While all of these changes stand out, I think the biggest one that most people notice is my change in size...
  • During the Fall of 2007 (my senior year of undergrad), I was at my heaviest weight. I was 21 years old and I weighed 370 pounds. It is now the Fall of 2013. I am 27 years old and I weigh 239 pounds. Over the past six years I have lost 131 pounds.

The weight loss process has been an amazing experience for me. I achieved big and small dreams that I never thought I would be able to do. I ran my first 5K last May and ran several others in the months that followed. Rather than having to purchase an XXL or 3XL shirt, I now fit in a Large. Instead of looking for size 52 or 54 pants, I am looking for a size 36. It may sound ridiculous, but there is an indescribable feeling of joy and happiness in having the ability to purchase clothes at a "regular" store or section rather than the "Big & Tall" department. Most importantly, I feel better, both mentally and physically.

Many people ask me, "How did you do it?" Well, it was a combination of things. The most important ones being diet and exercise. I was essentially eating garbage in college (frozen and processed foods, soda, beer, carbs, carbs, and more carbs) and I wasn't as active as I needed to be. I occasionally went skateboarding with friends but you would never catch me in the gym working out or even going for regular walks. I had eaten myself into obesity and lethargy. 

When I graduated and attended the University of North Dakota to work on my Masters of English in 2008, I slowly became more active. The walk from my apartment to the building in which I taught and had classes was about a half mile away, so I was walking that at least two times a day. Also, I was living on my own and not eating on campus. I was required to eat meals in which I cooked myself. Rather than loading up on frozen pizzas and corn dogs like I had done in the past, I decided to expand my cooking abilities and prepare meals that had more color and nutrients.

By the time I went to Norway in 2010 to teach college composition at the American College of Norway in Moss, I had lost about 40 pounds. When I came back from Norway (Spring of 2010) I had lost an additional 30 pounds. Norway was a massive factor in my weight loss. Due to their strict food laws, I wasn't eating the processed and hormone injected foods that I was back in the United States. I was eating more fruits, vegetables, and I was much more active. Because I had no car, I walked everywhere. As my days in Norway started to dwindle, I got to thinking about how I could continue to eat healthy and lose weight. 

That's when I decided to adopt a pescetarian diet (I would eat fish, more vegetables and fruits, but no red meat or chicken). This diet forced me to explore new and interesting foods. I discovered that eggplant, as weird as it looks, is actually quite delicious. I began to enjoy other foods that I previously "thought" I disliked like mushrooms, brussels sprouts, and broccoli. Along with this diet, I also kept up with my walking and eventually got comfortable running.

I did the pescetarian diet for about five months and lost a considerable amount of weight. I switched back to my regular eating because I felt that the diet helped me put my food consumption in perspective: it disciplined my eating habits and helped me transition back into American foods without me going out of control upon my return.

Now, it's 2013 and I'm at a comfortable 239 pounds. However, I still feel that there is more I can do to become healthier and more that I can learn about healthy eating. That is why my wife and I have decided to become vegans for the month of October, with the possibility of extending into future months.

I used to be one of those people who would roll their eyes at the thought of becoming vegan. I would think, "What the heck? They're just vying for attention." or "No way, man. That's way too strict. Let me eat what I want to eat!" Now, however, I find myself amongst a growing population that is suffering from more and more cases of diabetes, heart disease, obesity, etc...and I don't want that for myself. After reading books and articles and watching many inspiring documentaries, my wife and I have decided to give this a try. Will it be difficult? At times, yes. Will it be beneficial? We really think so. Are we doing this for attention? No. We're just a young married couple who wants to try something different, something fresh, something that will give us a new perspective of the food that comes across our table. So, here's to kicking off a new lifestyle. If you're interested in seeing what our journey is like, I'll be keeping regular posts here. Have a wonderful October first, everyone!

-Bearded Vegan

5 comments:

  1. Good luck in the vegan life! We made some kabobs on the grill the other night, and the grilled veggies were outstanding (better than the meat in this case). Kick some ass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are behind you all the way, and look forward to learning with you both as you journey through this together! Big hugs to the Pastranos! Love you!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, how do you prepare egg plants? I grew a bunch this year, but have been unimpressed by all the ways I've prepared them thus far. Just curious. Also, good work and good luck on the vegan quest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Post some of your recipes! I wish you success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to everyone for the positive thoughts and support! Suzanne and I will most definitely be sharing our recipes!

    ReplyDelete