Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Mango Fried Rice For Everyone!

So, I've discovered that I really enjoy cooking Asian dishes. I'm not entirely sure what it is about making them that I enjoy so much (it might have something to do with the flavors), but my experiences and yielded results thus far have been excellent.

I decided to try my hand at this Mango Fried Rice recipe I found on the Post Punk Kitchen website. It was considerably easy to make, however, I was unaware of just HOW MUCH this recipe made. When I say "Mango Fried Rice For Everyone," I mean it. This recipe made about 6 to 8 servings, so you'll have plenty to go around if you decided to take this one on.

The dish was absolutely delicious. What Suzanne and I found so incredible about it was that we could honestly taste every single ingredient in the dish. It was sweet, savory, filling, and full of flavor. Another highly recommended dish for those of you who want a wicked awesome Asian dish.

THE RICE:
(RECIPE NOTE: To make this work really well, you need to cook the rice, cool it, and then add it into the pot with the other ingredients. By using cold rice, it prevents it from getting mushy and sticking together when heating it again later.)
  • The Recipe calls for 6 cups of Jasmine rice.
  • Boil 9 cups of water in a large pot. Once it begins boiling, add in your rice, lower the heat a little, and stir the rice occasionally.
  • Once the rice is done, I covered a baking pan in parchment paper, dumped the rice on the pan, and set it in the freezer while I prepared everything else.
PREPPING THE OTHER INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 Tablespoons of oil (divided)
  • 3/4 cup of roasted cashews
  • 6 oz of green beans (I used organic frozen green beans)
  • 1 medium red onion
  • 3 cloves of minced garlic
  • 1 Tablespoon of minced ginger
  • 2 teaspoons of crushed coriander seed (I used a rolling pin)
  • 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes
  • 3 Tablespoons of Tamari Sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon of Sriracha hot sauce
  • 1 tomato cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 2 mangos (I used a can of diced mangos however, I want to try using frozen mangos next time [more flavor] or substituting pineapple for the mango.)
  • Basil leaves
  • 2 Tablespoons of lime juice
(RECIPE NOTE: You will want to use a LARGE wok or pot for this recipe.)

First, preheat a pan to medium high heat. Once the pan is heated, drizzle one Tablespoon of oil into the pan and drop in your green beans. (I heated my green beans first but if you use fresh green beans you can skip that step :P) You want to sear the green beans, so shuffle them around for about 3 to 5 minutes. Once they are done, you can throw them in a bowl and set them aside.

Add another Tablespoon of oil into your pan and put in your diced onions with a dash of salt. Shuffle them around until they are lightly browned but still firm (about 3 minutes). Then add in your 3 cloves of minced garlic, 1 Tablespoon of minced ginger, 2 teaspoons of crushed coriander, and 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes. Toss this all together for about 30 seconds.

Take your rice out of your freezer. Add 1 Tablespoon of oil to the pot with the onions and spices and then add in half of your rice. Stir this around until the rice is covered. Add the remaining rice (I also added one more tablespoon of oil) and stir until the rice is covered. Let this cook for about 3 minutes.

Add your Tamari sauce, Sriracha, and tomato and toss until the sauces and tomato are worked in. Cook for another 3 minutes.

Lastly, add the green beans, cashews, mango slices, basil, and lime juice. Cook until everything is heated through. You can taste and add the desired amount of salt.

Boom dizzle...you have some tasty Mango Fried Rice!

SIDE NOTE: As you may already know, I like spicy food. So, I had the bottle of Sriracha sitting next to my bowl for added heat and flavor. I highly recommend it!

Hope all is well friends! Take care and stay warm!

-Bearded Vegan

2 comments:

  1. Looks awesome, sounds awesome, but I can't do mango flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the canned Mango I used wasn't the best. I plan on trying again with pineapple. I think I'll get a better flavor.

      Delete