Saturday, October 19, 2013

Eggless Egg Salad, Hoppin' Habanero Vegan Chili, & Everyday Pad Thai part II!

Hello friends! Sorry for the absence of posts over the last few days. My students just turned in their latest paper assignment and I've been busy grading. Despite the heap of papers that have been keeping me busy, I have still been able to eat some incredibly delicious dishes! (As you can see in the picture.)

This is me enjoying an Eggless Egg salad sandwich! I remember the first time I ever had Eggless Egg Salad. I was living in Grand Forks, North Dakota and working on my Masters of English at UND. I had just finished a movie at the East Grand Forks theater and was riding my bike back home when my stomach started grumbling like mad crazy. I stopped at Amazing Grains, the local co-op, walked to the back of the shop and saw a nicely wrapped Eggless Egg Salad sandwich. I was very curious and very hungry, so I bought it. I made myself comfortable outside and took my first bite. It was absolutely delicious and I had no idea that tofu could taste so good! Eventually, I met Suzanne and I introduced her to the sandwich. She loved it, and being the amazing chef that she is, she tried her hand at the recipe. What she has developed is a drool inducing recipe. I unfortunately do not have it, but you can find it on her blog, http://whereitvegan.blogspot.com/.

Suzanne also made two batches of chili this past week. I have been blessed with an incredible wife who not only loves me, but also knows how to get my taste buds going crazy. I like spicy dishes and Suzanne made me my very own pot of Habanero Vegan Chili. This stuff blew me away. It packed some major heat, major flavor, and kept me warm during the chilly fall days.

The side dish is a little cup of eggplant hummus; another Suzanne Pastrano original, to go with the pita chips on my plate.

Again, I can't stress how fortunate I am to have married such an amazing woman. Suzanne has been such a great team mate during this new change in our lives. She's encouraging, inspiring, and so supportive. This whole experience has been incredible and I wouldn't want any other person by my side.




Wednesday was kind of a rough day. The work day was long and I was just beat. Typically, I wouldn't have wanted to cook a meal, however, this new dietary change has shifted my perspective. Cooking has become more of a cathartic experience rather than a chore. Although it's work, I see it as an enjoyable form of work in which I can channel my concentration and release my stresses of the day.

Suzanne had requested the Everyday Pad Thai again because it's just that good. I got all of the ingredients ready and she helped me prepare the dish. This was our Take 2 of Everyday Pad Thai. Everything was the same for the most part. The only new addition was the sliced jalapeño for some added heat.

This dish was just as good the second time around and I'm sure it will become a staple in our household.
You can find the recipe for this dish on my post titled "Everyday Pad Thai."




When I got home Friday evening, I decided to kick off my weekend with a nice walk in the brisk fall weather. I packed my tobacco pipe, put on my favorite hoodie, threw on a stocking cap, and hit the sidewalks. I came across this during my walk and decided to snap a photo.

Feeling blessed to live and breath during these beautiful fall days. Hope all is well, friends!

-Bearded Vegan

No comments:

Post a Comment